Friday, January 16, 2009

Rasmalai!

Rasmalai is a very sweet dessert made from flat rounds of milk cheese soaked in a sugary cream sauce. Potato happens to be a HUGE fan (so much so that he is willing to pay the $10 per box the Indian store is now charging) so I thought I'd try my hand at it...since I've been on this homemade kick recently ;-)
I got the recipe from a wonderful blog I found specializing in South Indian Cuisine: http://dailygirlblog.blogspot.com/2006/09/rasmalai.html and I followed it pretty accurately. I gotta tell you-- it tastes different than the boxed rasmalai, but its gooood. The flat rounds are thick like a very solid cheesecake would be.. and the creamy sauce is sooo good (I initially thought it had too much sugar, but when it all came together it tasted right).
This is not the traditional method of making rasmalai, nor the only modern method. Another blogger has a different version that I'd like to try next: http://www.cookingandme.com/2008/12/quick-and-easy-rasmalai-recipe.html I'll keep you posted!

No comments:

Post a Comment