Tuesday, January 6, 2009

New Year New Eats

On the plane ride home from my Christmas/New Years vacation with family, I had the pleasure of reading Michael Pollan's book, In Defense of Food.

As with a majority of people, I resolved to eat healthier in 09. And I'm going public with my initiative. For 30 days, I am going to follow all of the suggestions in the book, which basically amounts to: limited processed food intake (i.e., if your great-grandmother wouldn't recognize it, don't eat it), lots of whole foods, organic meat and dairy, enjoy food at a table for each meal and eat the meal slowly. I will post every day, at least a few words on the general challenges etc and my progress so far. The 30 day limit is a trial period, to be extended/reevaluated when the time comes- though I sincerely hope that this will be my launching pad for a much healthier diet (cue buzzword "lifestyle change").

Tomorrow-- my trip to the grocery store, and first day of cooking after vacation.

I anticipate spending more time in the kitchen.. but since I generally love to cook, this might not be a problem. I do worry about what activity I will cut out in order to spend more time cooking (hopefully a vice, like watching TV mindlessly.. though I can picture myself skimping on exercise with the excuse of "not enough time"). We will have to see. For now, I have high aspirations that this experiment will succeed and that I will discover some interesting recipies and techniques along the way.

So long for tonight. Happy New Year everyone!

1 comment: