Thursday, October 23, 2008

French Onion Soup!

I have been craving french onion soup for a LONG time. You know how it is-- lusting over the recipe during those 10 minute internet breaks at work, falling asleep thinking about the caramelized onions and melted cheese, and even pondering different and new expressions that you might invent upon tasting such a delicious creation.. (Good God This Soup is Dancing on my Tongue Like Mario Lopez). Wait, you dont fantasize like that? Well anyway, my long drawn out dreams were always cruelly crushed like a clove of garlic before being simmered in olive oil and spinach. But I digest. It boils down to this (hehe I'm so punny), I lacked the requisite cooking vessels to prepare such a creation. You know- those cute bakable soup bowls with individual lids. So I would eventually close allrecipes.com or fall asleep unsatisfied with the status of my cookware collection. That is, until a visit to the Salvation Army store out in Sterling. There, sitting on a shelf between some abandoned nick-knacks and a collection of mis-matched beer steins, were a perfect set of two ceramic soup bowls! FOR A DOLLAR! I almost cried I was so excited!!

All my planning was not in vain-- I had the recipe stored (you can find it here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/French-Onion-Soup-I/Detail.aspx) and almost all of the ingredients on hand. A french baguette was all I needed, and this creation was a reality! I used swiss cheese, and caramelized the onions with a dash of freshly ground peppercorns. With wine and the rest of the baguette, the soup was everything I had hoped for and more.

No comments:

Post a Comment